Coconut Oil - It just may be the 8th wonder of the world.
We really don't know how we ever lived without it. So here are our top 5 fav (of the million) ways you can use coconut oil!
1. moisturizer - for skin and lips ( OR as a carrier oil for essential (I prefer YoungLiving) oils for extra UMPH) Dip your fingers into your tub and slather that stuff on. My favorite thing to do in the winter is rub coconut oil all over my feet, concentrating on my heels, then slip socks on for the night to sleep. When I wake up, my feeties are soft and smooth!
2. deep conditioner - Dampen your hair in the shower or with a spray bottle (this will help spread the oil more evenly throughout your hair). Melt the oil between your hands and then apply - concentrating on mid-shaft to ends. Try to avoid your roots (it can be very difficult to rinse ALL of the oil away from your scalp and root area). Wrap your head in a towel or a shower cap to allow the natural heat from your scalp to be trapped and warm up the rest of your hair (this helps the cuticle to open and really absorb the oil). Leave on your hair for at least 5 minutes (or sleep on it!), then rinse. Rinse really well before you shampoo the rest of it out. You may need to repeat the shampoo process a couple of times depending on the thickness of your hair. Then, condition as normal!
3. eye makeup (even waterproof) remover - Gently massage a dime-sized dab all over your eye area to "dislodge" eye makeup. This will make a mess. :) Then gently wipe makeup residue away with a cotton ball or pad. Don't worry about left over oil because it can be massaged into the delicate eye area for extra moisturization.
4. oil for popping popcorn - In a large stock or soup pot, add in 2tbps of oil and about 1cup of kernels. Turn the heat on hi, and let the magical popping commence. I usually wait till there is roughly a two second pause between kernel pops before turning off the burner and dumping into a bowl. Finish with your seasonings of choice or none at all, and enjoy!
5. loaded (Bulletproof) coffee - Just about every morning, this is my breakfast. The recipe is very easy to follow:
- Brew 1 cup (8-12 oz.) of coffee using filtered water, just off the boil, with 2 1/2 heaping tablespoons freshly ground Bulletproof® Coffee Beans. (French Press is easiest.)
- Add in 1-2 tablespoons of Brain Octane™ to the hot coffee (It’s STRONG – start with 1 tsp. and work up over several days).
- Add 1-2 tablespoons grass-fed, unsalted butter or ghee
- Mix it all in a blender for 20-30 seconds until it is frothy like a foamy latte
The recipe suggests using MCT (medium chain triglyceride) oil or "Brain Octane". This is where you can substitute 1Tbsp of a highly refined extra virgin coconut oil. You can read more about Bulletproof Coffee and the science behind it RIGHT HERE!