If any of you are (normal human beings) like me when it comes to eating, then you may frequently have the tendency to carb (over)load. Oops! If you have resolved this year to start living a more healthful lifestyle, then most assuredly an area that you are targeting for revamping is FOOD! One thing that most people have the hardest time keeping balanced and in check is their intake of particularly bad carbohydrates (i.e. breads, pastas, chips, tortillas, cakes, muffins, candy…).
One really easy way to swap a bad carb for a good carb is by making a subtle switch of any pasta in your meals with my favorite carb con-artist: spaghetti squash.
It is such a nifty lil’ veggie and is super duper easy to prepare. Wanna know how? K. Here we go:
To Prep Spaghetti Squash:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Cut your squash in half lengthwise (which is the hardest part, so be careful!). Use a spoon to remove the seeds.
2. Place cut side down in a roasting pan in about an inch of water. Bake for approximately 45 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes.
3. Using a fork, scrape around the edges of the squash to shred your “noodles.”
(Sidenote: Most squash, such as acorn, butternut, delicata, or kabocha, can be prepared in a similar manner.)
And BAM! That’s it. Three easy steps. From this point on you can continue with whatever pasta recipe that your heart desires by using your squash as a substitute.To further help you get the ball rolling, here are a
few SIMPLE suggestions:
- You can very easily toss the squash with a tablespoon of olive oil and your favorite herbs and garlic to go along side any kind of meat as a main dish.
- Some people like to make their own pesto to toss with their squash.
- Apart from tossing it with olive oil, my family typically eats it with spaghetti sauce and lean ground turkey served as a normal spaghetti dish.
- You can cook your squash in your CROCKPOT!
- You can make a light ‘pasta’ salad.
So ya see, it’s not as hard and intimidating to make some significant lifestyle changes in your eating habits as you thought! Hope you’re inspired to bump your health game up a notch and swap the bad for the good. It’s not just about a “diet”. It’s about changing your mindset to have a lifestyle of healthful habits! If you have any questions, feel free to ask away OR share your favorite health hack recipe!!!